1. By counting the rings on an atlantic salmon's scales, one can tell how old the fish is, when the fish first entered the ocean, and even where the fish spawns (12).
2. Since 1912, the first atlantic salmon caught on the Penobscot River was given to the President of the United States. This tradition stopped in 1992 due to declining atlantic salmon populations. (22)
3. President Arthur once caught a 51-pound atlantic salmon (22).
4. Atlantic salmon are almost identical to their relative the sea trout, although the salmon has less parr marks below the lateral line than the trout (2).
5. One method used to get atlantic salmon past dams is to capture them, put them in the back of a truck, drive past the dam, and release them on the other side (26).
The Salmon Dance by The Chemical Brothers.