Salmon as a Superfood
Atlantic salmon are the most popular salmon among consumers, mainly for their high levels of high in omega-3 fatty acids, which work wonders for the body. The fatty acids are a prime source of protein and contain vitamin A and B. They also promote joint health, function of the brain and the nervous system, and also decrease the risk of heart disease. Omega-3 fatty acids benefit children in the development of their vision, and neurological systems. The acids help prevention of asthma, by lowering inflammation; however, the acids do not make up for all medications. Symptoms of ADHD can be reduced with the help of omega-3 fatty acids, and children’s cognitive abilities, including thinking and remembering, can be improved. Later in life omega-3 fatty acids can protect against dementia, and alzheimer disease. Atlantic salmon can be served canned, smoked, or grilled, and is becoming increasingly sought-after in restaurants and grocery stores worldwide. The atlantic salmon is a superfood that is prevalent in numerous diets, and should continue to be. (27)
LEMON GARLIC SALMON (Recipe 1)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 teaspoons of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoons of lemon pepper
- 2 six-ounce salmon fillets
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice, to taste
- In small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat. Stir in 2 teaspoons of minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds or until garlic becomes aromatic.
- Season both sides of salmon filets with lemon pepper and place in pan.
- Cook salmon until the steaks easily flake when tested with a fork. Make certain to flip the fillets midway through cooking to brown on each side.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Serve and Enjoy!
BBQ SALMON (Recipe 2)
- 4 (1/2 lb) salmon steaks, 1-inch thick
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Combine the sugar, lemon juice and butter in a saucepan.
- Cook the mixture over low heat, constantly stirring, until sugar has dissolved.
- Place the salmon steaks in a greased, hinged fish basket. Then grill about four inches from the coal.
- Cook the salmon for about fifteen minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily, occasionally brushing with sauce.
- Serve and Enjoy!